Youngwood Borough Municipal Office Building
The existing Borough Office was the former Youngwood High School building constructed in 1917. In addition to housing the Borough offices, the Borough provided space in the building for the public library and some business tenants and rented out the gymnasium to the community. The existing facility was mostly vacant and became too large for the needs of the Borough and too costly to operate. It was old, outdated, and in need of comprehensive upgrades to meet today’s standards for modern and efficient office space. The Borough reached a point where it was no longer sustainable to invest money into the building.
This project consisted of a new, small, one-story Borough office building with a designated public library section to replace the existing building. The new building was built on the same site as the existing building. The existing building was planned for demolition. L.R. Kimball worked with the library to help them with the Keystone Recreation, Park and Conservation Fund Grant Program. They were awarded $65,000 toward the fit-out of the library shell space. The Borough sought a grant from the Redevelopment Authority of Westmoreland County to remove asbestos and demolish the existing building. The Borough also planned to provide green space on the site for the community to create a play park.
Return to Architecture
- Plumbing/Fire Protection
- Structural Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Geotechnical Engineering
- Landscape Architecture