Shippensburg University – Ric Luhrs Performing Arts Center
The 1,500-seat theatre within the H. Ric Luhrs Performing Arts Center at Shippensburg University makes it possible for professional touring companies to visit the campus, bringing the best of the stage to the Center, providing a wide range of cultural programming, including full-scale Broadway performances, large musical groups including symphonies, dance troupes and internationally-known speakers to the University and the surrounding region.
Based on extensive analysis and careful planning, the design of the new Center – both artistic facilities and teaching areas – was developed to nurture creativity and enhance teaching at Shippensburg University.
The Luhrs Center includes:
- a choral/instrument rehearsal room
- music practice rooms and two dedicated piano studios
- a keyboard laboratory, music classrooms and a music library,
- two large practice studios as well as individual practice rooms
- a “Green Room” for visiting performers
- three VIP dressing rooms and large, flexible touring company dressing rooms
- the 1,500-seat John L. and Cora I. Grove Theatre, with no obstructed views
- state of the art sound and light technology
- banquet and reception space in the Upper Level Lobby
- faculty office suite
North facing glass wall brings light to public gathering and student collaborative areas. Building was designed to be as compact and efficient as possible. Local materials were used.
Return to Architecture
*This project was completed by L.R. Kimball employees prior to joining L.R. Kimball